The function of carburetor is to carefully mix the right amount of air and fuel for allowing combustion and generating power. Without this component, the engine will not be able to work.
It is essential to keep the carburetor clean. This will ensure its proper working. If not, then its ability of regulating combustion will get badly compromised.
Following is a guideline for cleaning a carburetor.
- Screw driver
- Compressed air can
- Lint-free clean rags
- Vehicle's manual
- First, the carburetor has to be removed from the car's motor. The ideal way will be different depending on the vehicle's type and age. To know the procedure of its proper removal, it is better to consult the vehicle's manual.
- Once the carburetor has been disassembled, put all the parts on a clean rag. A carburetor consists of several small parts and they should be kept together. It is significant to use lint-free rags so no material will stay on carburetor to thwart its performance. When the parts are laid down, spray them using the carburetor cleaner.
- There are many grooves, small holes and nooks in the carburetor's individual parts. Each piece has to be inspected for ensuring that they are free from debris and slime build-up. Check every hole in the flange gasket, fuel bowl, throttle shutter, etc and make sure they are dirt-free and clean. If they are not, then toothpicks can be used for removing the stubborn substances. Same technique can be used for screw grooves.
- If small holes, shafts and valves are left dirty by the carburetor spray, then spray with compressed air can positioning its straw at a gap of about 4 - 5 inches away from the part. If the air can is sprayed from very close to the part, then deposits will be left that can affect the carburetor's performance.
- Once every part has been wiped, there can be heavy build-up found on some that can be wiped easily. Use the carburetor cleanser; soak the parts that have heavy build-up leaving it for a night. A glass container that can bear chemicals can be used. After soaking the parts for some hours, use lint-free rag for cleaning them.
- When every part has been properly cleaned and dried, reassemble and reinstall the carburetor in the vehicle.